Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Roots do Go-Go

Well, it may not be 100% Go-Go but its definitely got that go-go swing to it...



This is the last track off of the new album "Rising Down" and it features DC's own new hip-hop sensation Wale (pronounced "Wah-lay"). I have to admit I am really not familiar with his work but I do have an older mix by him that I am going to give a listen to sometime very soon (as in, once I dump it on my ipod, so tonight or tomorrow.) You can download that here:Wale: 100 Miles and Running

So back to the Roots track. I had heard about this track before the album dropped and the Roots labeled it "go-go influenced" hip-hop. I agree it's not go-go but damn, the influence is strong. After the chorus intro, the instrumental starts and definitely has that live go-go feel. Then Black Thought drops a few lines and, boom, all of a sudden the head-nodding go-go beat starts. I can hear it banging on the streets of DC, from the cats on the buckets around the Verizon Center (and Georgetown back in the day) to the radio to spots in between. Hell yea. That is nice. Thank you Roots for droppin' some go-go and giving a District area artist a chance to shine.

I'm gonna do a post dedicated to the Godfather of DC Go-Go, Chuck Brown, sometime soon so stay tuned. Peace.

No comments: