Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The England Online Record Store Competition

So, here's the story behind the competition: It was not originally designed as a competition, more a frantic search for a couple of records I really wanted to get. For a while now alot of the records that I have been purchasing are 12"s that are imports from Europe, mainly the UK. They are in, what I like to call, the "funky breaks" style, also known as breakbeat, re-edits, new funk, or even mash-up, among others. Essentially what that means is that songs are generally heavily influenced by funk & soul with hip-hop beats and vocal samples at a faster tempo. Here's a mix from Wonderland in June that I did called "Funky Breakin' @ Wonderland" as an example:


http://www.divshare.com/download/8012118-70d

So to continue, I recently placed 3 orders from 2 differents stores all based in England and thus the EORS competition began. The reason I had placed the first order, from Picadilly Records was for 2 new release 12"s on Goodgroove and Bomb Strikes (2 of my favorite labels releasing stuff in this style) as well a Featurecast (dope artist) remix 7" of Aretha Franklin's "One Step." Well the 7" has been out of print and the store didn't really have it so that led me search some more. Two days later, I finally found the release in stock from Chemical Records so I ordered it immediately and the race was on. Then a couple of days later, I received an e-mail from Juno Records that a re-edit of Fred Wesley's jam "House Party" called "Trailer Party" was back in stock and I knew another order was needed. So I ordered a couple of records from them, they are a site that I have thought about ordering from many times before and we'll see how they do in this competition.
As of now, I received the Piccadilly order 1st as I should have. It took a total of 7 days. But the next day I got the 7" in the mail from Chemical Records, for a grand total of 6 days in transit which puts them in 1st place. Juno has until tomorrow to tie Chemical Records for the fastest transaction time. As far as price goes, Juno seems the most decent (and they also have the biggest selection) but the difference is not major so time may be the overall factor in determining the winner. We shall see who prevails...

No comments: